Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bitstrips by the Dozen

I’m not an artist at all. When it comes to creating attractive pictures that resemble anything, I’m useless. I’ve played around with Bitstrips.com a bit in the past, and I’ve been happy with how easy it is to use. I’ve found that the characters, objects and backgrounds have been very easy to manipulate, but I haven’t come up with any concept for a comic strip that seems engaging enough to be produced on a regular basis.

Bitsrips for Schools has many more possibilities than the limited work that I’ve done. I have read some reviews of teachers saying that students were asked to create comic strips depicting scenes from books that they have read for class. I’m trying to imagine how wonderful and disturbing Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury comic strips could be. An assignment that involved Bitstrips.com wouldn’t only be good for gauging reading comprehension, but also for encouraging computer skills and the use of imagination.

I’m also picturing some really neat Criminal Justice assignments – students could create scenes that depict appropriate and inappropriate officer responses to situation. (Of course, this could end up being MUCH more disturbing than any Kurt Vonnegut book.) The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using Bitstrips in papers and classroom presentations – hopefully others will agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment